You Are My Sunshine

Hey guys! I know it's been so long since I've written anything. I've been busy packing up everything that we won't need for the next 3 months until we move! I have been working on a special project on the weekends though!

To make this was basically just a continual process of trial and error to make it work. Once it got going, it was fairly easy to make. I did use a hot glue gun to glue the individual shims together, but the first couple ones I did kept breaking because I didn't use a hot enough gun. I would strongly recommend using the hottest glue gun you can find to make sure they stick together. Otherwise, when you go to hang it up, it's going to break.

I glued each "ray" separately and then after making enough, glued them all together in a circle. This is where the trouble started. By the time most of the sunburst was glued together, it wasn't fitting right. I had to break some of the pieces up and stick some shims upside down to space the rays out to make a better fit.



After I fit it all together, my stepdad glued a board on the back and attached a wire for it to hang. From there, all I have to do was decide how I wanted the mirror. While I like the use of the embroidery hoop over the mirror, I was worried about glue poking out around the edges and I wanted mine to pop more. My mom had the genius idea of using a plate charger so the mirror would stand up off of the base. So the next time I was at Hobby Lobby I picked up a wooden charger and the mirror fit perfectly inside!



While it's not primed or painted, I love the way it looks! I think I might just keep it like it is!

So what do you guys think? Do you like how it looks so far? 

I've linked up to Not Just A Houswife's Best DIY Project of 2012 Contest! Check out their post along with all the other DIY projects!


2 comments:

  1. Looks soo pretty and soo well made hard to believe that is a DIY.. This would definitely make a great statement piece for a room.

    xo
    Maggie A
    LOVEMAVIN.COM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maggie! I still haven't hung it up yet, but I'm hoping it will be a statement piece!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...