Fall Is Finally Here . . . Sort Of

Hello Autumn! My favorite time of year is here . . . now if only the weather would cooperate!

I don't know what it is about growing up, but the older I get, the more I like the colder weather. There's just something about cardigans and boots that puts me in a good mood! And don't even get me started on the leaves changing colors! Ahh . . . I love it!

Even though it's technically Autumn, it doesn't feel like it just yet. It's still like 80+ degrees here in Central Arkansas so I can only stare longingly at my sweater while I sweat profusely as soon as I walk outside. I decided last weekend that I would go ahead and make some Fall decor since October was just around the corner and maybe that would will the weather to change (so far, no luck -- but I still have my fingers crossed)!

I made my first burlap wreath for my sister and let me tell you, it was so easy and it turned out awesome! The best thing about this wreath is that the bow is removable! I attached an alligator clip to the back so the wreath base can stay year round, and you can switch out the bow depending on the season!


All it took was:
a wire wreath base (mine was 16 in.)
3 rolls of 4 in. burlap (from Hobby Lobby)
some flower wire
an initial (optional)
ribbon to make the bow (optional)
alligator clip to attach to the bow (optional)

Warning: Dust and little fibers will get EVERYWHERE! I recommend doing this outside if you can.

Unfortunately I got a little too excited when making it that I didn't really take pictures. But the good news is, there are tons of tutorials around the blogosphere! Here's one of the ones I used -- Top This Top That.

Basically, all you do is just loop the burlap through all of the wires back and forth. I know that may be hard to imagine without the pictures, so make sure to look at the tutorial from the link listed above!


Here it is with one roll of 4 in. burlap.


And 2 rolls.


And finally finished! Now is the time to go back and fluff and rearrange misplaced ruffles! Some bloggers have said they used wire to hold the ruffles in place, but I really didn't need to. They stayed put once I arranged them how I wanted.


This wreath was for my sister and she requested an initial and a bow that could be removed to switch out with other embellishments depending on the season (totally her idea, which is pure genius!).


For the bow, I chose wired edge ribbon so it could be easily shaped. After I got it how I wanted, I wrapped some wire around it to secure it and then glued the little pieces of ribbon around the middle to hide the wire.

There were two small nails on the back of the initial that I just wrapped wire around and strung to the wreath.

My sister said she loves it so I'd say mission accomplished! I'm already thinking about what Christmas embellishments to make for her when it comes time! That's the beauty of this wreath -- it can change with the seasons and with you!

Thanks for stopping by!


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...