My First Silhouette Tutorial!

Hey guys! So I'm doing something today that I've never done on the blog - a Silhouette tutorial! 


Remember that trash can I painted? Here's a quick picture:


I loved how it turned out but I wanted something more! I have been itching to use my Silhouette so I decided to give it a try and add a cute label to my trash can!


I'm still new to Silhouette Studio and learn something new every time I use it. One of my favorite things about it is how easy it is to use!

Note: I made the pictures below as large as I could so they're easier to see, but if you still can't view them, click on the image and it will zoom in more!

Creating the label was super easy, and I did it using one of the shapes that came pre-loaded in my Silhouette Library. 


As you can see, I have all of my shapes organized into separate folders. I went to my Labels folder, and clicked on frame.


When you double click it, it brings it up on your page. Now, the space I had to work with on my trash can lid was roughly 9.5"x5" so I played around with the size of the label until I had it around the size I wanted (I knew I might have to change it, because I still had to add the text). It ended up being 8"x4".


I knew I wanted the first and last letters to be big, so I found a font on dafont.com called Optimus Princeps that I really liked and downloaded it. Dafont.com is a great website that is so easy to use and has tons and tons of awesome fonts! It's always the first place I check when looking for a font!

I typed out the word, making sure to capitalize the first and last letter and played around with the size.


One thing that really helped me was to draw lines with the Line tool to act as markers. If you hold shift down when drawing them, they will stay straight. I think my vertical lines may have been a little off, but that's okay. :)

After drawing my gridlines, I made the text bigger so it filled up the space a little more. Then I centered it in the label. After everything was lined up and sized correctly, I deleted the gridlines.


All that was left to do is cut! Make sure your blade is on the correct setting, in this case 2, because I am using Silhouette vinyl.

After the Silhouette cuts it out (which took all of two seconds! It was so quick!) peel off the vinyl that's not part of the label and toss it in the trash. 

Silhouette sells this awesome stuff called Transfer Paper. It makes placing the vinyl on your surface easy and painless! All you do is cut a piece similar to the size of your vinyl, peel of the top layer leaving the sticky part with the gridlines to work with, and put it down on top of your vinyl. Make sure to smooth it down enough so it grabs onto the vinyl. Once you think it's on there good, slowly peel the layers apart so that the vinyl is transferred to your Transfer Paper.

Note: I tried to take a picture of this step but my vinyl and Transfer Paper kept curling so I couldn't get a good shot! There are tons of YouTube videos showing this process though so I encourage you to to check them out if you're unsure about this step.

Making sure to line the vinyl up right within the space, press the Transfer Paper down onto the surface and smooth out any bubbles, wrinkles, and press down the vinyl! When everything's smooth and pressed, slowly take the Transfer Paper off to reveal your vinyl!

Please ignore the trash bag in the corner! I forgot to move it and I'm too lazy to take a new picture! :)
I love how it turned out and it was so easy! Silhouette Studio is so easy to use and any there are so many tutorials out there to show me all of the endless possibilities to using it!


What did you guys think about my first Silhouette tutorial? I would love some feedback so I know what to keep or start doing in future tutorials! Leave me some comments below on your thoughts!

Don't forget to follow me on Pinterest, via email, Bloglovin', or Google+! You can find all of these on the right sidebar!

I've linked up to some linky parties this week!

Whipperberry

4 comments:

  1. Oh I have so been thinking of getting one of these! Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're awesome! I was scared to use mine when I first got it but now I am loving it and wanting to use it for everything! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. Just purchased our first Silhouette Cameo and I've been doing all my research before product comes in. I came across your site thru Pinterest and I love your site and tutorials. Thanks for the great ideas and projects, can't wait for more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa,
      Sorry for the late response - I've been out of town! Thank you for the feedback! I love to hear how people are finding my site! I'm hoping to at least do one Silhouette tutorial a week (fingers crossed!). If you sign up for my newsletter (on the right) or follow my I'd Pin That board via Pinterest you can be alerted to new posts and Silhouette tutorials!
      Alex

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...