Trash Can Makeover

I mentioned in one of my previous posts that I had inherited some things from my mom that she no longer wanted. I'm also "borrowing" some things from my sister while she's in DC. However, the three of us don't exactly have the same style.


I love whites, creams, light blues and greens. Anything serene. I do love the occasional jewel tones or rich burgundy but overall, I like lighter colors.

That is why when I was offered took my mom's trash can, I knew I had to paint it. When she first bought it, I believe it was a light colored wood. Maybe maple or oak stained? It's been so many years that I can't remember the color exactly. But, a few years ago she moved to a home that had dark appliances so she decided to paint the trash can black.


And of top of that, after many years of use, it was a little banged up.


But I love the shape of it and how the lid flips open! Plus, it was free! That alone is the best part! I would've taken it if it was neon green just because it was free! :)

Valspar's Du Jour
I still have a ton of paint leftover from when I painted my dresser so I decided to use some of it!

I gave it a quick sanding, focusing more on rough spots or parts that had dripped and dried. I don't know what I was thinking, because I completely skipped the priming step. I really ought to have primed it, but I forgot all about it! Whoops!

If you are going to use a primer (and you really should), I recommend Zinsser. It is seriously the best!


Here is a picture of one coat of paint without primer. I am a little impatient and instead of applying it in thinner coats, I did mine more on the thick side. I always use super fine grit sanding paper and do a once over between coats to ensure there's no uneven spots or drips showing.


This is after 3 coats. As you can see on the left side of the picture, I had taken the lid apart and taken off the hardware before I painted it so I could make sure to get every little corner and crease.


This is the lid after 3 coats of paint. The paint dried relatively fast and didn't really stink up the apartment too bad. I opened the windows and turned the fans on for circulation and didn't really even notice the smell!


After the paint dried, I assembled the lid back together and put it on top of the base! And now I have a beautiful white trash can that fits perfectly along the wall of my kitchen!


I love how it fits perfectly right underneath my clock!



I was thinking about painting the hardware, and still might, but I'm not sure. I was thinking silver maybe? What do you guys think? I'd love to know if you prefer the dark hardware to offset the white or if a cool silver would look better!


I've also been considering using my Silhouette to cut a vinyl saying or picture to put on top of the lid! I'm a terrible decision maker so I'm just not sure! I was thinking just putting "TRASH" on top, but in a pretty font. Do you guys have any other ideas for a vinyl cutout? Let me know in the comments below! I would love to hear your thoughts!

And, because it's been a few days since my last post, I'll give you a sneak peek on what I have coming up!


I'm transforming this beautiful table from hot pink to a grayish silver! I already have my supplies assembled and am ready to get started as soon as I finish this post! I might even use my Silhouette on it too! :)

My First Silhouette Tutorial!
UPDATE: I added a vinyl label to my trash can using my Silhouette! Come check out the tutorial here!

Thanks so much for stopping by! Don't forget to follow me on Pinterest, and via email, Bloglovin', or Google+! You can do all 4 on my sidebar to the right!

2 comments:

  1. That is a super cute trash can regardless of color - it just looks like furniture which is nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know, that is why I love it! I don't have to hide it in the pantry because it's actually pretty! :)

      Alex

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...