Unwind Dystology

I'm doing something a little different today on the blog!

I want to share with you guys one of my loves - reading! As an English major and one-day English teacher, I read daily. While most of the time I'm reading Neo-Classical literature or poems from the Renaissance (yeah..not my favorite either), I still make time to read for fun. Right now, I am loving dystopian literature and lucky for me, it seems like there are a million of those out right now!

UnSouled by Neal Shusterman
If you guys have not heard of Neal Shusterman (I'd honestly be surprised if you haven't) then let me introduce you to him! He is amazing! I have a thing for trilogies. If I like a story, I never want it to end.

I heard about Neal Shusterman and The Unwind Series when scouring Barnes and Nobles website for a new book to read. I saw it had a 4.5 rating (out of 5) and knew I had to read it. I read the first two books, Unwind and UnWholly, in a week. Yes, they were that good! But my favorite thing about them is that they were nothing like anything I have ever ready before!

The third installment, UnSouled, came out a few weeks ago and I literally dropped everything to read it! And just like the previous two, it was incredible.

Since UnSouled is the third in the series, I really don't want to go into what it's about or anything that will spoil the story for those of you who have not read any of the series yet. So instead, I'll give you a little preview of Unwind, the first of the series, and maybe I can entice you to read it for yourself! :)

Unwind by Neal Shusterman
The Second Civil War in America, or The Heartland War, as it is more commonly known as is brought about because of the debate over abortion. Both sides come to an agreement by enacting The Bill of Life, a bill that states that all children must be born, but at the age of thirteen, they can be retroactively aborted through a process known as "unwinding." Unwinding, according to the government, does not end a child's life. It simply leaves them in a "divided state" where every piece (99% of them to be exact) can be harvested and used for those who may need their organs.

This practice has come to be commonplace in society with harvest camps popping up all over the nation. Troubled teenagers are now known as "ferals" and the push to unwind them is gaining more and more steam.

The story is told through many perspectives, 3 of which are from the 3 main character's point of views - Connor, Risa, and Lev. Connor, a teen who often finds himself in trouble, learns that his parents have signed his papers to be unwound. Now on the run, he crosses paths with Risa, a ward of the state who is on her way to a harvest camp because the orphanage she lives at is out of room, and Lev, a tithe whose unwinding has been part of his life's plan since before he was born.

Shusterman does an amazing job exploring such controversial topics, especially through the eyes of children. He makes us, as readers, question things that we may have never even thought of before, which to me is what an author is supposed to do.

I'm about to go all book nerd on you guys, but one of my favorite authors of American literature, Mr. William Dean Howells, believed that the authors main job was to tell a story as realistically as possible. I think Shusterman did exactly that. Although the premise of the story is fictional (unwinding is not a real scientific possibility at this point in society), the characters and their interactions are very much believable.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who has not read it and is looking for a new book to read! And for those of you who love series, it was going to be a trilogy, but Shusterman recently announced there will be a fourth installment! Now that's something every bookworm loves to hear! :)

So have any of you read anything by Shusterman before? Or have you heard of The Unwind Series? What are some books or series you're into right now! I'd love to know since my to-read list is constantly growing! Let me know in the comments below!

Don't forget to follow me!

pinterest | instagram | bloglovin' | twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...