Yarn-Wrapped Monogram

A friend of mine asked me if I could help out with one of her projects that was not turing out how she wanted.

She gave me a wooden initial that was painted turquoise attached to a bow that just wouldn't stand up if it's life depended on it. She wanted it to be wrapped in yarn, but didn't know how to go about it, and honestly, neither did I. But after a couple nights of working on it, this is what I came up with!


All you need is:
an initial
chevron burlap
paint (optional)
yarn
hot glue
staple gun and staples
felt

I'm not sure where my friend got her initial exactly but I know you can buy one at Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or any other craft store. She had already painted it for me, and I'm glad she did because if there are spots that aren't covered completely by the yarn, it will be hard to tell since the color is the same. I definitely recommend painting your initial before covering it in yarn.


I'm not going to lie, I was totally scared to do this at first because I've never done it before. And M isn't exactly the easiest shape to begin with. But, the most important thing I learned is just focus on sections. It makes it so much easier and it isn't as overwhelming if you only worry about one section at a time.

I started by doing the two long sides of the M. I tried to get the strings as close together as possible, stopping occasionally to glue pieces of yarn to the back to keep it in place. I got as close to the edges as possible so the top edges would be completely covered.


Next, I did the middle section. This was a little tricker. Since it was at an angle it was hard to wrap the strings around. So instead, I cut pieces of yarn and attached them separately and glued them to the back. I covered as much space as possible. It's okay if some wood is showing through. This is just the first layer.

For the little edges at the top and bottom of the sides of the M, I cut little pieces and attached them instead of wrapping it around. I found it easier to do it this way.


Here's an idea of what the back will look like. It looks totally crazy, but that's okay! It's the front that matters, so don't worry about all those crazy strings on the back!


Now it's time for the second (and final) layer! I took this picture to give you an idea of how I did it. As you can see, I did the second layer horizontally. I started at the top and wrapped it all the way down to the end of the V in the middle, then did a section that goes across the whole width of the M. Then, I continued down the rest of the right side.

Before beginning on the left side, I did the little section in the middle. Since this section wasn't covered as well in the first layer because of the angle, I made sure to cover it well in this second layer.


Since the left section was broken up into two, I did the top first. Again, make sure to keep the strings close together so the sides will be covered since they weren't in the first layer.


After you do the bottom section, you're done! Yay! The hard part is over!


I just had to share this. This is how much yarn I had left over. No joke. I used a WHOLE thing of yarn!


This next step is optional, but I think it makes it look better and more professional. I got a piece of stiff felt from Hancock Fabrics and cut it in the shape of an M. Then, I stapled it on.


I put the staples close together so there would be no puckering or bubbles.


While you don't have to do this step, I think it looks better, especially if you're doing it for someone else! It looks better than all those crazy strings sticking out everywhere.


I liked the basic shape of the bow she made, and kept it almost identical (sorry I don't have a before picture of the bow!), but it fell flat because it was burlap. I bought some fabric stiffener from Hobby Lobby and painted it on with a throwaway brush. I let it dry overnight and then shaped it in the morning. I also cut a piece off the end and wrapped it around the middle to cover the wire I used to bunch the loops into the shape.

All that's left is stapling it on the back and you're finished!

From Instagram
I love how it turned out and so did my friend, which is what really matters! I think it's going to look great on her front door!

I might even make one for myself now that I know what I'm doing! :)

Don't forget to follow me via email, Bloglovin', Google+, and of course, Pinterest!

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. This is too cute! BTW Do you have a twitter account?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Yes, I do! You can get to it by clicking the button to the left of my banner up top! @idpinthat

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...