Come Full Circle

I made a monogram a few weeks back (tutorial here). But it was more on the fancy side, so I wanted to show you guys how to make a different kind of monogram. Circular monograms are very popular so I have a tutorial today showing you how to make your own! It's so easy and works with any group of letters!

First, we need 2 circles (set one to the side, we'll deal with it later) and our letters. For those who don't know, your initial of your last name goes in the middle.


Ungroup your letters and set the left and right ones aside. Center your middle letter inside the circle. You want the top and bottom edges to touch or overlap the sides a little.

Instead of messing with the font size to do this, it's easier to just resize the letter like you would resize an image.


Once the middle letter is center, it's time to place the outside letters. I think they look best when they are a little smaller than the middle letter. I scaled them down a bit and placed them so they overlap just a little bit.


When you have everything like you want it, select all of the shapes, go to the Modify window, then click Crop.


Now the parts of our letters that were touching the circle are rounded! We're almost there!

You'll notice your circle has disappeared. This is why we have another one! Drag it over and center it over your letters.


As you can see, we still have corners that look a little awkward. They're too short so we need to round them out.

To do this, double click the letter. This shows all the points that connect two lines in the letter. Drag the points upwards towards the curve of the circle. You may need to even make a point yourself to help create that curve. To do this, just double click where you want the point, then you can move it exactly where you want it.


Once everything is in place, you can delete that circle. And now you have a brand new circle monogram!


Have you made a monogram in Silhouette Studio before? Do you have any tips or techniques you use? I would love to hear about them!

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for this tutorial! It was SUPER helpful! Really appreciate it. :-) - Bre @ Average But Inspired

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, Bre! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment! I love to hear what my readers have to say! :)

      Alex

      Delete
  2. Hi! Thanks so much for your great tutorials! I really did learn a lot! Do you have any idea how to cut large monograms that you could put say, over a bed?? I have ordered quite a few from Esty, and the outside circles tend to come in two pieces, which leaves me baffled on how to lay it out in the design studio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had much experience cutting large shapes with vinyl. I will say these two tutorials have some helpful tips so you might give them a try:
      http://blog.silhouetteamerica.com/2012/09/friday-feature-vinyl-frame-tiling.html
      http://blog.silhouetteamerica.com/2013/03/free-shape-of-week-easter-chalk-art.html
      Feel free to email me with any more questions!

      Alex

      Delete
    2. Oh.My.Word. you are serioulsy my hero!! Those are great tutorials, and exactly what I needed! Thank you again so much!! Happy Weekend to you!!

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much for this tutorial!!! Will try this tomorrow. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  3. This was amazingly helpful! I truly hated to purchase a font (or worse, individual letters) when I knew there had to be a way to do this in the program.
    Thank you!
    Phinon
    www.42phinon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this tutorial helped! I hate having to purchase fonts as well, especially when I know I can figure out how to do it on my own!
      Alex

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...