Anniversary Shadow Box

Yesterday was mine and my boyfriend's 5th anniversary. We decided to not spend a lot on gifts because we're wanting to build a house later this year. I still wanted to get him something special though since this is a big milestone in our relationship. My mom gave me a shadow box a few weeks ago that has been sitting around so I decided to search Pinterest to find some inspiration for ways I could use it.

I finally decided to do something similar to this, however I was not willing to pay the steep price for something I could do myself.

Here's what I came up with!


This is a perfect, simple DIY for an anniversary gift or would even be great for Valentine's Day! All you need is a frame or shadow box, scrapbook paper, and a hole punch or your Silhouette Machine.

My shadow box had a fabric backing to it to pin pictures or things on, so I needed a plain piece of scrapbook paper to cover it. The inspiration picture looked like the heart cut outs were from a book, but being a total bookworm, I could not cut up a book like that and still live with myself (haha!). Luckily, when looking through my scrapbook paper, I found one that had a handwritten message on it and it was perfect! Then I grabbed a red piece for one of the hearts and I was ready to go!


I thought about going to Hobby Lobby to get a heart hole punch, but decided against it and used my Silhouette Cameo. For anyone that knows me, they're probably thinking, "were you sick or something?" because I never pass up a trip to Hobby Lobby, but I can't ignore an excuse to use my Silhouette either! :)

In Silhouette Studio, I mapped out how I wanted to arrange my hearts. The cutting mat space is the exact size of the scrapbook paper so this worked really well as a template before I cut my pieces out.


I also needed one heart to have some sort of personal text so I decided to use our initials and the year we started dating.

2009 seems so long ago! We were babies still in high school!


Okay, back to business! Sometimes I just can't resist a trip down memory lane. :)

I cut out 25 hearts on the script paper, one more than I needed. I recommend going ahead and cutting out more because a couple of mine ripped or didn't cut all the way through. Also, I usually have my machine set to double cut, but I forgot this time, and I think this helps the problem of not cutting all the way through.

Then using the print and cut feature, I printed the text on the red scrapbook paper along with registration marks. Then I cut out the heart using my Silhouette machine.


Now it's time to glue them all down! I wanted the hearts to pop off the page since they're in a shadow box, so I folded all of them (except the red one!) in half and glued them down alternating sides.

TIP: Lay your script scrapbook page with the hearts cut out on top of the white page. Glue the hearts down inside the cut outs, this way they're all even and lined up perfectly! I should've taken a picture of this, but forgot! If you have any questions, just email me or comment below.

I glued the red heart near the corner. I love how it pops against the white and neutrals of the scrapbook paper and frames!


Before I got the chance to hang it up, I had to wrap it so it would be a surprise! He had no idea what it was! He loved it when he saw it and made me hang it up immediately!


With this new addition, I had to change up my gallery wall, which I was kind of thankful for because I wasn't loving how it looked. But now, I LOVE it! I can't believe I am finally satisfied with it! It only took me like 6 months! ;)

All of these pictures I found via Pinterest. You can find them on my boards: Art & Message In A Bottle. Most of them led me to Etsy.


The best part of this project (besides the fact that it is personal and for our anniversary) is that it was free!!! I had everything already at my house! Even if I didn't have any of this stuff though, I can't imagine it costing more than $15-20. Hobby Lobby has plenty of shadow boxes and you can always use their 40% off coupon and their scrapbook paper is super cheap!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...